Summary of Position
The Immunology/Assay Development Scientist will be expected to design and execute complex immune monitoring experiments with human clinical samples utilizing established and novel procedures. The candidate will have demonstrated hands-on experience with assays, such as ICS, ELISPOT, and other cell-based immunological assays such as immunophenotyping. He/she will have experience with assay development, troubleshooting, qualification, validation and clinical testing. The successful candidate will supervise a small team that supports the evaluation of immunogenicity and efficacy of infectious disease and oncology vaccines in clinical trials. The candidate will demonstrate effectiveness as a team member and write experimental and clinical protocols and reports for senior management. The candidate will be expected to be in the laboratory to perform experiments and clinical testing with other team members. The candidate must have a strong, positive work ethic and be highly collaborative with other group members.
- Provide technical resources for immunology method development, optimization, implementation and validation.
- Ability and willingness to work in the laboratory to perform human clinical testing and meet deadlines.
- Work collaboratively with Translational Medicine and other team members to understand their deliverables to achieve organization goals.
- Demonstrated experience with method development, qualification and validation is necessary.
- Select appropriate methodologies and design, develop, and qualify/validate applications/assays in support of vaccine research projects. Design and run the development of assays to evaluate cell-mediated immune responses in clinical samples. Propose, plan and implement/execute experiments with minimal supervision.
- Read scientific and technical literature in order to bring new and improved procedures to the laboratory and to broaden understanding of disciplines outside area of training. Utilizes all appropriate experimental design methods needed for biotech industry work.
- A strong background in immunology is essential.
- Demonstrated experience with direct management of multiple reports is essential.
- Ability to hire, train, and mentor staff.
- Strong organizational and problem-solving skills and attention to detail.
- Ability to work independently and as a part of a cross-functional team with a positive attitude.
- Proficiency using spreadsheets and selected job specific software, including Prism, FlowJo, Microsoft Excel, Word, PowerPoint and Sharepoint.
- Experience with LIMS a plus.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills are required.
- Knowledge of regulatory and industry standards and Gxp preferred.
Education & Experience Required
- PhD in immunology with at least 2 years of experience in pharmaceutical or biotechnology areas or Master’s degree in immunology with at least 8 years of experience in pharmaceutical or biotechnology areas.